Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Scion is Rockin' the Outdoor/In-Store.

This is pretty darn cool:
http://www.brandweek.com/bw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003726994&imw=Y

Attik for Scion is working with InWindow Outdoor to create billboards that sit in store windows and interact with consumers. In Scion's case, they want to create the image that Scion's are out of reach- specifically their Scion tC Series 4.0. It's a limited edition car that Toyota is only producing just over 2,000 of. The campaign consists of signs in storefront windows in New York and Chicago. As pedestrians move closer to the signs, the cars on them move farther away. Scion is also releasing a web address to link the outdoor: http://www.scion.com/rstc

Now, as a Scion owner (a xA, my mom picked it out, don't judge!), I know that Scions aren't exactly luxury cars like Toyota seems to be trying to tell people. Scions are Scions. They're different, but I wouldn't consider them a collector car.

Without seeing the billboards, I'd have to say that this campaign is still pretty cool- whether Scions match up to Lexus' or not. The website design is sleek and mimics the car very well. Interactive billboards are one of the coolest ideas I've ever heard of in this day and age and I think I'd have to stop and take a look if I saw a car moving in the window of a store in New York.

3 Comments:

At March 21, 2008 at 10:29 AM , Blogger R.Wilson said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At March 21, 2008 at 10:36 AM , Blogger R.Wilson said...

I would have to agree that this is indeed a decent idea. There is no doubt that it would not catch anyone’s attention because consumers love interactive ads. I think this was a good design to use an interactive billboard ad to convey their message. I consider unique interactive billboard and ambient ads the most effective in terms of getting the consumers attention, because it forms an unexpected advertising message that they will not forget. What puzzles me is why limit this billboard to just New York and Chicago? What about Scion's other DMAs?

 
At March 26, 2008 at 4:08 PM , Blogger Ashley Brunson-Jones said...

The idea of an interactive billboard is most definitely creative and different. I also agree that Scions are not luxurious cars but they will make a strong statement if they continue to use such innovative ads. Ads like these could separate them from their competition. Before reading about this billboard I knew little about this Brand, and I actually don't pay it any attention as I drive. This billboard can put them in better positioning in the consumers’ minds. They are using a unique approach, similar to Chevy's Malibu campaign (the car people usually ignore).
An ad that actually responds to the consumer walking away from the product...Brilliant! & Great Post!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home