Sunday, March 2, 2008

Dudes Like To Shop Too.

There was an article on Ad Age titled 'How the Male of the Species Shops' that I found particularly interesting, being that I was curious to see how my male point of view conflicted with what the female author had to say on the topic. Unfortunately, the article didn't dig too deep into her personal opinions, but rather seemed to simply summarize a study done by Mens Health, and pick out the rather telling statistics. The most telling, and rather surprising of them all was that while some 65% of men admitted to doing at least half of the food shopping for a family, it was noted that about 80% of all marketing dollars for food goes to targeting women. It seems as though there is a hugely missed opportunity here for marketing food towards guys, which up until this point, I thought would be rather obvious.
Seriously, guys love to eat, and on an average, we consume alot more than our female better halves. However, I suppose one possible reason for the marketing bias is that in the minds of most, the female is still typically the one who prepares meals in a household, however, even that percentage is shrinking. Also, another possible reason for the bias would be that in a family household, that mother is the one that typically manages the diets of the children. So, marketers are not only targeting woman in households to purchase food for themselves, but also to make purchasing decisions based on the dietary habits of their children as they see fit. So assuming that a family has a mother, father and two children, they could possibly influence the eating habits of three consumers, as opposed to one, by targeting the woman as opposed to the man. So sure, there is logic to the food marketing bias, but as a male who happens to be an avid enthusiast of food, I wouldn't mind getting some more attention either, atleast more than 20%!

6 Comments:

At March 3, 2008 at 7:49 AM , Blogger bethany said...

I think this is very interesting, especially when talking about healthy foods. Most of the food marketed towards men are "hearty and meaty" and "filling". But personally, I have some guy friends who have a box of Special K in their kitchens and aren't too proud to admit that. I mean, let's face it, everyone is conscious of their health these days. So why not market a food like special K to a male audience as well as a female audience? I think that by making the brand very women-oriented, men really steer away from a cereal that is really just a light version of Wheaties. This is just one example but I definitly agree that men shouldn't be left out in the market for food and grocery advertising.

 
At March 4, 2008 at 2:36 PM , Blogger Geoff Piraino said...

I am a male that comes from an Italian family and loves to cook and eat. I am in the grocery store every few weeks and always find myself wondering where the male advertisements are. I also subscribe to Mens Health and am not afraid to say that I take pride in eating healthy, and almost all of my male friends feel the same way. However, every box that I pick up or ad that I see that promotes something healthy is targeted towards women. I think that with more and more women entering the workforce and the stereotypical gender roles becoming obsolete, the advertising dollars will start to swing more towards 50/50. In the mean time, I think it would be very beneficial for some of these "healthy food" companies to start to advertise to men because they could, more or less, corner the market.

 
At March 5, 2008 at 5:52 AM , Blogger Kiri Luszczak said...

This is very true. But there is a possibility that the reason why food advertising mostly is directed towards women is women are more health conscious about what they are Eating while men, may care, but not as much. This is why although the women don't eat quite as much as men, the labels mean more to females. I have seen more and more men food shopping over the years, and yes, the thought of women being the only ones in the kitchen is also decreasing, but I don't completely agree with advertisers are losing money because in the end, men are not really all that worried about the calories and fat content.

 
At March 26, 2008 at 10:06 PM , Blogger Brett said...

If brands made a concentrated focus to just create and advertise foods to single bachelors or young men living on their own, they could return some very big profits. Before coming here I could never say that because I didn't shop and the matriarch did prepare and buy the meals, like the stereotypes suggest. Now, I find myself enjoying to do all of the responsible things like grocery shopping. Simple aesthetic changes would be enough sometimes. Think about it? What if there was a manly looking dish soap, or manly looking toilet paper 24 packs. Us men would buy them in swarms. There are many household products and food sold in grocery stores perfect for this kind of treatment. Now there are the Hungry Man dinners, Chunky Soups, and sodas, but aside from that its very female oriented. I want a manly looking cereal, and a manly juice carton. But really, the biggest opportunity is with the household products sold in the grocery stores where they all cost about the same and purchases are made primarily on the brand image.

 
At March 31, 2008 at 5:19 PM , Blogger vvilsun said...

I never thought of this before but it’s totally right. Every food or cleaner ad I can think of was definitely directed towards women. I really think this has something to do with the way the stereotypical American household used to run. The men worked the women took care of the house. In today’s society that just isn’t the case anymore. While I don’t know the statistics I would guess that the majority of households these days consist of a working husband and wife. If this is the case then men would seem to be just as important to reach as the women and yet you never see it. I’m actually surprised that this hasn’t been a more exploited facet of the market. It’ll be interesting to see if this happens any time soon.

 
At April 3, 2008 at 11:07 AM , Blogger Col (Col Reads) said...

Very interesting post. From my standpoint, the question is not who does the eating, or even purchasing, but who makes the determination of brand quality. In a traditional household, the listmaker has two choices: write detergent or write Tide. Perhaps that's the link that is missing in the study? I wonder if there's any information on that in Simmons...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home