Sunday, February 17, 2008

An Ad School Grows in Brooklyn

This article published Feb 8, 2008 in Adweek. NEW YORK Plans for a new Brooklyn high school focusing on advertising and media have moved forward with the approval of the New York City Department of Education and the identification of a site.The High School for Innovation in Advertising and Media will be located in the Canarsie section of Brooklyn, according to Brooklyn Borough president Marty Markowitz. The school will occupy a building on the Canarsie High School campus and is slated to open in September.The DOE plans to enroll about 108 ninth graders to start and in each of the next three years, which means that within four years, the school's total enrollment will reach 425-450, according to a DOE representative. "This school will go a long way in preparing our very talented and creative communities of color for exciting and very lucrative careers in advertising and marketing."Markowitz has committed $2 million in capital funds from his office's budget toward the project. The school is backed by a partnership that includes the American Association of Advertising Agencies, Interpublic Group, Virtual Enterprises, Microsoft and VCU Adcenter director Rick Boyko, who will lead an advisory board charged with developing a curriculum.Applications for the school will be available this weekend during a recruitment fair for all new city schools, the DOE rep said.

Through reading this article, I think it is a very good news for the students who are dreaming of being an advertiser. I wish I could go to this high school since I've been dreaming to work in advertising field. If there are people who exactly know what they want to study and work for the future, it would be better to study in depth for the area as early as they can. Advertising is the study that just has been established and developed since few years ago. Even when I was looking for college that i want to go in my senior year of high school, there are not that many colleges that have advertising major in this country, moreover, there are only two colleges having advertising major in my country South Korea. For now, advertising is not that popular as much as business or law which are long live study, however, it is obvious that advertising has a bright future and a study which will be developed and keep getting popular and broad for the future.
The effect of advertising toward the whole society has been getting huge as time goes by, the education of studyinf advertising has to be much more expasion and growth .The buying power of African-Americans is expected to exceed a trillion dollars over the next several years, yet they represent less than five percent of the advertising industry workforce. It is necessary to give students to be able to develop their talent and ability of creativeness since they are young. The sooner you do it, the better it will be.

6 Comments:

At February 19, 2008 at 8:12 PM , Blogger R.Wilson said...

I think this is a great idea! I don't want to sound badly informed but I think this would be the first high school to solely focus on advertising and media. And to have it located in one of the major advertising cities (The Big Apple) was also a brilliant idea. Not mention that students will also be surrounded by dominating advertising agencies that reside in New York, agencies such as Saatchi & Saatchi, Ogilvy & Mather and JWT just to name a few. Students will now be given the opportunity to engage in the studies of advertising and media before pursing that field in college. I do believe that other schools well see this as an example and build more school just like The High School for Innovation in Advertising and Media or incorporate an advertising program just like it. I think it’s cool that there’s a high school built for advertising, considering the fact that advertising has just been deem a college major in recent years. Talent is a terrible gift to waste.

 
At February 20, 2008 at 4:22 PM , Blogger ryguy8708 said...

Sorry R.Wilson i tend to disagree, the idea of the school is yes, in face a good one. But on the other hand I feel that when I was in high school and middle school my plan for the future would change monthly. This idea seems like it would be a good plan, but that is the thing. These kids will almost be forced to keep this major throughout high school/college and I feel like a part of high school is feeling out all the classes and interests and then bringing them together to decide what you'd like to do. Are they going to now start making high school for anthropology majors?

 
At February 21, 2008 at 3:01 PM , Blogger Ashley Brunson-Jones said...

The idea of this school is interesting, it has pros and cons. In high school I too was one of many students who did not really know what I wanted to do. A school like this would have helped me solidify my decision to get into the advertising industry, but it may hinder me from exploring other options. Much like other schools that are focused on just one subject/career; i.e. engineering schools. I think it would be a better idea for high school to have advertising as a course of study, but not an entire high school centered around advertising. I am mainly concerned for those students who are interested in advertising but have a very common change of heart. High school isn't like college, you can't change your concentration when the entire school is geared towards one career. In saying that, I am sure the students selected will be carefully chosen. What worries me even more than that is that they can turn advertising into a four year school study; which makes me nervous about the amount of information I will obtain in my two yrs of study of Advertising. I guess I'll need to watch my back because the up&coming generation will be out for my job and qualified....

 
At February 22, 2008 at 8:56 AM , Blogger Drew Burton said...

Ashley poses a very important point. While advertising can be a rewarding career path, I don't think that it is wise to have a high school with such a specific focus. Keeping in mind that the Advertising field is comprised of many different tasks and disciplines, I have a hard time believing that placing kids in such a specific environment so early is a good idea. So much of what we do as advertisers involves being in touch with the world around us. It is imperative for us to understand what our fellow humans are feeling, the choices they make, and what makes the earth turn round. Even to make the most intelligent, business-minded media decisions, a certain level of abstract thinking is necessary. It is asking a bit much of high schoolers to fully comprehend the reasons why we need to persuade one another and build brands...why we need to establish a relationship that supports corporations and their brand name products. Instead, education should be aimed to shape a young person's accurate view of the world. Let kids learn the basics first, then we can examine if they are ready and willing to build brands.

 
At February 23, 2008 at 2:34 PM , Blogger bethany said...

I think this is an interesting idea to have a high school built for advertising. After thinking about it, I feel that it might not be the best idea out there, however. High school students range from about the age of 14 to 18. I really think that the younger end of this range is too young and impressionable of an audience to learn about the media from a subjective standpoint. I realize we as college students are only a few years older but its a big few years that really make a difference. High school is there for a reason and that is to prepare you for the future. But, I think it would be a fabulous idea to incorporate some advertising classes in with other high school courses to give younger students a taste of what advertising is all about!

 
At February 24, 2008 at 7:41 PM , Blogger Mandy Mazzeo said...

Yea it is a great idea, but I find myself getting a little jealous that I can't participate in it. But then I think about how I was when I was 13/14 years old and at that time I wanted to be a veterinarian. When I was 16, I was convinced I wanted to be a chef. It wasn't until I took a Communications Technology course my jr. year of high-school that I realized I wanted to do advertising. We are too young to fully grasp how the world works at 14 years old. It is a good idea, but the purpose of high school is to give us a WELL ROUNDED education to prepare us for the future. I think a lot of important information that students need to gain in HS would be lacking if the primary focus was advertising. Not to mention, the more you learn closer to actually entering the work force, the more you are going to remember and be able to apply it...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home